LAR Housing Trust (“LAR”)
What is the purpose of this Privacy Notice?
This Privacy Notice sets out the basis on which LAR will process your personal data in accordance with the Data Protection Legislation.
What is personal data?
“Personal data” means, for the purpose of this Privacy Notice, all information relating to you, directly or indirectly, for example your full name including, if applicable, your preferred name and your surname; your gender; your work and personal e-mail address (where given); your marital status and dependants; your National Insurance Number/passport number; your date of birth; your home address; your mobile number and your home phone number; your current employment details; and any other personal information that you have provided in your application form or by e-mail or letter to us or which you provide to us at any meeting.
“Special categories of personal data” means, for the purpose of this Privacy Notice, personal data revealing your racial or ethnic origin; political opinions; religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, and the processing of genetic data; biometric data; data concerning health or a natural person’s sex life; or sexual orientation.
What is the Data Protection Legislation?
“Data Protection Legislation” means the Data Protection Act 1998; the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679); any applicable legislation adopted by the United Kingdom post the United Kingdom ceasing to be a Member State of the European Union; and / or any other applicable data protection legislation applicable in any part of the United Kingdom (whichever is in force at the time). LAR
Where LAR handles your personal data, it is the data controller for the purposes of the Data Protection Legislation.
If you have any questions regarding this Privacy Notice you can contact LAR’s Data Protection Officer at: email@example.com . Please mark any correspondence for the attention of the Data Protection Officer.
If you are unhappy with how we handle your personal information you can:
Use of your personal data
LAR will hold and process your personal data in a number of different ways, namely:
• in carrying out background, credit and reference checks, prior to your being offered a tenancy with LAR; • in determining the terms on which to offer you a property with us;
• in managing any disabilities or special needs you may have in relation to your property, including carrying out adjustments to your home (such as putting grab rails in place to assist if you are infirm); • in dealing with any repairs, compliance checks or improvement works required to your property or the surrounding development; • in dealing with legal disputes involving you, or your visitors or dependents; • in complying with LAR’s health and safety and other legal obligations; • for equal opportunities monitoring; and • in complying with our legal obligation to ensure that you are entitled to live in the UK.
Why does LAR use your personal data?
We use your information primarily to provide you with well maintained and compliant homes and to better understand your needs and improve your housing options and for the day-to-day running of our business. We also use it to comply with laws and regulations that apply to us and to protect our business, our other tenants and employees.
As such, LAR uses your personal data for a number of reasons:
• where it is necessary for LAR to comply with its legal obligations (e.g. so that compliance testing can be carried out by our contractors);
• where it is necessary for LAR’s legitimate interests (i.e. to determine whether you will be a suitable tenant, if you apply for a property); and/or
• where it is necessary to protect your interests (e.g. by instructing a repair to your property) or those of someone else (e.g. your neighbour).
If you fail to provide information when requested, which is necessary for us to have it this could have detrimental consequences. For example, if we need it to consider your application, or instruct a repair we will not be able to process your application of instruct the repair successfully if we do not have the correct information.
Legal basis on which LAR uses your special categories of personal data
LAR only rarely requires to use your special categories of personal data. Where it does, this is usually where it is necessary for the purposes of LAR ensuring that it is carrying out its obligations and exercising its rights under the Equalities legislation or where we have your express written consent.
Legal basis on which LAR uses information about criminal convictions and offences
LAR will only collect information about criminal convictions if it is appropriate and will only use information relating to criminal convictions where the law allows LAR to do so. Where appropriate, LAR will collect information about criminal convictions as part of the application process to ensure that you are a suitable applicant to rent one of LAR’s homes or are suitable to remain in one of LAR’s homes.
Sharing your information outside LAR
We keep your information confidential and will only share your information outside of LAR for the purposes mentioned in this privacy notice (or in certain circumstances, with your express consent). This may include sharing your information with third parties such as our contractors, subcontractors, repairs helpdesk, credit reference and fraud protection agencies and law enforcement agencies or regulators.
For more detailed information about the third parties with whom we may share your information, please contact LAR’s Data Protection Officer.
LAR does not sell or pass on information about any of its tenants for market reasons (e.g. LAR does not sell or collude in selling products from other companies to its tenants e.g. homes insurance etc.).
How long LAR will hold onto your data
LAR will not store your personal data longer than necessary for the uses outlined above, unless it is required to do so to comply with the law and / or any regulatory requirements. Usually this is for the period of your tenancy and up to 12 months after your tenancy ends (unless we are required to keep it for longer for example due to court order, investigation by law enforcement agencies or where your account is in arrears).
LAR does not tend to use automated decision making and as such, you will not be subject to decisions that will have a significant impact on you based solely on automated decision-making.
European Economic Area
If you occasionally work outside of the UK or the European Economic Area (EEA), we may need to transfer your personal data outside of the UK or the EEA to correspond with you. Where this applies, we will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this privacy notice.
The data that we collect from you will be stored inside the UK or the EEA. We will not transfer your personal data outside the European Economic Area without informing you beforehand.
You have certain rights under the Data Protection Legislation , namely:
• the right to access the personal data held about the you by making a subject access request in accordance with the Data Protection Legislation. We may charge a reasonable fee when a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive;
• the right to have your personal data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
• the right to have your personal data deleted in certain specific circumstances as set out in the Data Protection Legislation;
• the right to restrict the processing of your personal data in certain specific circumstances as set out in the Data Protection Legislation;
• the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes or for purposes based on our legitimate interests;
• the right to request the transfer of your personal data to another party in certain specific circumstances as set out in the Data Protection Legislation; and
• where you have provided consent, to withdraw such consent at any time.
These rights can be exercised by contacting LAR’s Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org